It is no shock that link building is one piece of the search engine optimization (SEO) pie and that successful link building increases search engine page rank and therefore return on investment for your business.
However, many businesses, website owners and bloggers have a difficult time determining if one link is better than another and how they could be optimized. To help, here are the types of links that can increase your website’s success.
- Traffic generating links – these links do not necessarily help in terms of increasing your search engine rankings for a specific keyword. These links help increase the exposure of your website on higher traffic websites and pages so that you may receive referral visits. These links come in different forms: text links, forum posts, blog comments, banner advertisements, social network mentions, online directories and so on. Two free tools to help analyze and utilize traffic generating links are Compete and Google AdPlanner.
- Search Engine Results Page (SERP) Elevating Links – these links help to boost your overall search results positioning for specific keywords. To increase your SERP links, use keywords in the name of your blog commenting as well as include them in guest blog posts, forum signatures, article marketing, online directory submissions and organic links from website pages. Ensure that the keywords are used in hyperlinks to increase value.
- Google PageRank Boosting Links – most SEO professionals and business owners will focus mainly on your website’s PageRank but there is some debate as to whether the PageRank on your website makes that huge of a difference. However, it is still good business practice to work on increasing these links by open one-way links from high-ranking websites to your own website. The higher the page rank of a website linking to your site, the more it will count towards boosting your Google PageRank.
- Reputation Building Links – these links are to build your online authority and reputation. Not all links come to your website’s main page but link to your social networking profiles such as Twitter, LinkedIn and so on. The more people know about you and your company, the more they want to link to you and your social networking pages. Ensure links are anchored with your name and company to increase online branding.
- The Double Backlink – linking to your backlinks increases linking building. Linking between your websites and social profiles strengthens the incoming links to the page your link is placed. Use social bookmarks and manage your backlinks and share them with your social networking communities.
Authentic Link Building
Remember that there is always a right and wrong way to do everything. In link building and SEO, you will want to stay away from unethical or black hat link building tactics. This means to stay away from spamming links on websites, blogs, directories and so forth. When building links, remember that it is more important to build quality links than the quantity of links.
Do you have other link building strategies that you employ at your business or on your blog to increase your search engine rankings? Please feel free to share your tips in the comments section below.