What is social media networking, how do I use social media, and why should I care? Sounds to me like you can use some social media marketing tips!
There’s so much social media and so little time in our day. With so much going on, we are left feeling frustrated and ready to give in. We’ve all been there, but there’s hope to finding social media success online.
What Is Social Media Networking?
Social media is “an umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos, and audio.” In other words, it is a simple way to describe the millions of conversations people are having with each other around the globe every day, week, month and year.
Why Should I Care About Social Media?
- Social media is now the top online activity, beating porn and personal e-mail.
- Two-thirds of the world’s population visits social networking websites.
- The online and social media world has become the most influential source in helping consumers make their purchasing decisions.
- Millions of people are constantly creating content for the social networks.
- Social media is free.
7 Top Social Media Tips
- Choose the right platform. Social media is not a one-size opportunity for businesses and humans alike. Pick what works best for you and be consistent.
- Post timely. This doesn’t mean when everyone else tells you to post but, rather, when your customers want you to post. If your customers night owls, then post later in the day.
- Build a relationship. A successful social media marketing strategy is all about connecting on a human level. Have a conversion and be sure to listen to your community.
- Don’t entertain the trolls. There will always be haters on social media. As Scott Stratten once advised me… “Don’t feed the trolls.” Ignore them and they will go away.
- Optimize your social media profiles. Fill out every available field on your profile. You’ll thank me later.
- Make it easy to share. Never make your community work to share your content. Leave room in your tweets for a retweet, add social sharing icons to your blog posts, and let your customers become your champions.
- Write like you speak. Grammar matters but so does passion. Don’t abbreviate your words or try to sound cool with lingo on social media networks. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
It might be difficult to figure out what social media is used for at times, but the choice is up to you. There are many pros and cons to social media networking. Just try one at a time to see whether it is right for your online goals.
Social media marketing success is a marathon – not a sprint.