Managing a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) campaign is a lot like building a house.
There are numerous factors that need to be understood and implemented in search engine algorithms, you truly need to be aware of all of them to ensure a successful campaign – it’s all about understanding how all the pieces fit together to build a masterpiece.
9 SEO Mistakes to Avoid
- Onsite SEO Obsession – A majority of businesses think that search engine optimization takes place on the website itself. Any professional SEO expert can tell you that onsite content building, keyword density, and web development coding are only part of the process. A successful campaign also includes link building, social media optimization, brand management and competitive analysis.
- Forgetting to Build the Foundations – Building a SEO campaign is like building a house; the foundation must be laid before the walls can be built or else you end up with a pile of broken timber. Success SEO is built on the foundation of keyword targeting (relevance) and back-link authority (importance).
- Worshipping the Homepage – Although it is true that your website homepage is the strongest on-site element of your SEO, it doesn’t mean that you stop there. Top-notch SEO builds on the homepage but does not forget the other elements of a successful SEO campaign, the landing pages!
- Fawning Over High Sought After Keywords – Inflating your keywords to look good in front of your customers, competitors or boss does not a good SEO campaign make. While getting traffic is important, getting relevant traffic is even more important. Trade those inflated keywords for long tail keyword phrases and increase your return on investment (ROI).
- Ignoring Analytics and Conversion Rate – Measuring your rankings to see how well your SEO campaign is doing is crucial. In analytical reports, such as Google Analytics, you can measure your bounce rate or are you attracting the wrong demographic? Such reports allow you to tailor your strategy to reach the correct clients while keeping your costs low. Check your reports and check the often.
- Analytics Obsession – SEO is an art and a science. Too obsess over one area of your SEO campaign can spell disaster for the rest of the campaign and its success. Such reports provide a wealth of data that can easily suck you into spending hours analyzing and reviewing. Set up a schedule to review this data so that you don’t develop analysis paralysis.
- Fear of Tweaking – Don’t be reluctant in carrying out website changes. Search Engine Rankings (SER) will go up and down regardless of whether or not you change something on your website. Google and other search engines are frequently changing their algorithms and tweaks are needed to remain competitive online.
- Big Boss Demands Factor – Everyone wants results like yesterday – especially the boss. SEO campaigns take time and work. A change made today can show up within 3 days or 3 months. Onsite SEO, link-building work and building domain authority is a long-term investment. It takes time to get results in search engine optimization and, depending on your niche market and competition, time can vary greatly. Have patience.
- SEO Blog Overload – You have white hat tactics, black hat tactics and what uncle Joe may tell you to do with your website. Knowledge is crucial but there is an old saying about how too many cooks spoil the broth. Keep up to date with key SEO industry leaders. If you don’t know where to find them, just start to follow them on Twitter. If they Tweet great information, then follow their blog. If not, then stop following them and spend your time with the authority figures in SEO.
If you have any additional information on SEO campaign mistakes that you would like to add, please add a comment below…