If you haven’t heard of Instagram, then let me help you get acquainted.
If you haven’t thought about using Instagram for business, then let’s get you up to speed because Instagram is a business powerhouse unlike the rest.
What is Instagram and why use it for business?
Instagram is a social media network that lets you capture photos and video in creative ways to share them with your followers. The best thing is that this highly visual content is not only posted on the Instagram social media platform but can also be shared on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, Email, and Foursquare.
Just like any other social media network, use and engagement can be confusing. Here are some tips on how to get started with Instagram so that you make the best (& successful) impression right out of the gate.
7 Tips to Get Your Business Started On Instagram
- What’s your personality on Instagram? As with any other social media network, think about why you are there and what you wish to gain from your engagement. Instagram is about personality and, if you’re going to hide behind your desk, maybe LinkedIn is best suited for you.
- Become a regular user of Instagram first. You need to engage with other people and understand the social climate of this platform before you start pushing photos of your favorite dog. See how people use it to gain a better understanding of your target market.
- What’s your product or service? How are you going to convey the awesome things you sell or the authority you have in a specific industry? Remember, social media networks are not about promotion but, rather, about engagement. You want to turn people into brand champions.
- Understand your target market. Know who you are first you are on Instagram to engage. Marketing is first about knowing your demographics and this is no different.
- Create a cohesive brand with your other social media networks. Remember that one size does not fit all online. Your brand and message must be coordinated effectively and efficiently.
- Think about your social media strategy first. It’s easy to get carried away with posting pictures and video. Keep in mind that Instagram is part of a marketing strategy for your online success – not to share your bar pictures during happy hour. (Unless you are a bar or sell alcohol, of course.)
- Be wise when choosing your Instagram handle. This is where a cohesive brand is very important. If you are known on Twitter as a specific handle, use the same handle for Instagram. This way, when you are tagged, it will be shared correctly on both social media platforms.
Instagram is a fun and very engaging social media platform for both business and personal use. Just be sure to first understand your goals and personality when creating your account. Business success, on social media networks, is almost impossible without a plan and a engaging personality.
Want to connect with me on Instagram? Here’s my personal Instagram page.
Question: Do you use Instagram for your business? What suggestion do you have for others starting out?