So you’ve now heard about Google’s new algorithm named Google Penguin but now you’re confused.
To help, the great people over at Calloway Green created this simple and beautiful infographic to let you know what the Penguin is, over-optimization problems, and 4 tips on how to keep your website safe from the Penguin.
Why the Google Penguin?
What is “over optimization”?
- Too many keywords on your page
- Unnatural “Title” tags on your page
- Too many links built too quickly
- Back links with overused anchor text
- Back-linking only to your homepage
Does Google just ignore stuff?
Google can now penalize your site and reduce your ranking if you have bad backlinks! This is in fact, NEGATIVE SEO which means your competitors can affect your ranking.
Can I keep my website safe from the Penguin?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Make the titles of the pages of your site more natural. For example, replace “Blue Widgets | Cheap Widgets | Best Widgets” with “get the best blue widgets in town from Acme Widgets”.
- When you build backlinks, mix up your anchor text. For example: “Blue widgets, click here, great resources, read more”… etc.
- Make it easy for people to share your content on social media with sharing icons.
- Create and syndicate really good quality content. The kind of content people want to read and will share for you.
If you have any further questions about Google Penguin and how it may impact your website or blog, feel free to contact me. I’m here to help!